Our capability to evaluate, develop and permit sustainable surface water resources parallels our groundwater expertise. ALWI recently completed comprehensive surface water availability and safe yield assessments of several rivers and streams across the Mid-Atlantic Region, including some of the largest new surface water withdrawals planned in the Mid-Atlantic region over the last half century. These projects included hydrologic evaluations of flow-by requirements and predictions of flow diminution upon downstream waterways. This work involved computing the frequency and severity of low-flow conditions under various future use and operations scenarios.
We also excel at assessing the interaction of surface water and groundwater. For projects requiring this specialization, ALWI routinely inventories and monitors surrounding wells, neighboring wetlands and springs, and streams in both adjoining and downgradient locations for evidence of effects that may arise from drilling and pumping operations. Regularly we construct weirs, deploy flumes and groundwater transducers, and establish and maintain hydrologic monitoring gauges.
Water Supply Services
- Groundwater Feasibility Evaluations
- Impact and Permitting Reports
- Groundwater Supply Development
- Source Water Assessment and Wellhead Protection
- Bedrock and Karst Hydrogeology Specialization
- Spring Water Resource Characterization and Development
- Permit Applications & Regulatory Coordination
- Expert Testimony & Litigation Support
- Surface Water Hydrology
- Quarry and Mine Evaluations