ALWI is providing a diverse range of consulting services to support the ongoing hydrogeological assessment, groundwater supply development and MDE water appropriation permitting needs of the Somerset County Sanitary District. Specific hydrogeologic tasks completed or substantially completed for the District have included:
- Reviewing groundwater hydrographs and pumpage reports to assess whether the long-term sustainable capacity of the Manokin Aquifer is being exceeded;
- Supporting District efforts to petition MDE to require Eastern Correctional Institute to discontinue Manokin aquifer use and to rely on deeper wells;
- Evaluating performance data from the existing wellfield to optimize long-term withdrawal rates;
- Investigating and opining on the probable, proximate cause of the functional failure of domestic wells located near major irrigation wells owned by third parties;
- Planning and designing hydrogeologic evaluations of the presence, quality and probable sustainability of future wells intended to tap deep aquifers;
- Supporting ongoing negotiations between the District and MDE, on issues of groundwater quality and treatment requirements; and
- Developing computer models and other hydrogeologic support for pending under agency review.